Saturday 2 June 2012

UNDERGROUND EXTRA – create colourful jars of pickled root vegetables with your left over vegies.


Pickled root vegetables
Makes a 6 litre jar or use a variety of smaller jars

• 1 bunch baby purple carrots
• 1 bunch baby yellow carrots
• 1 bunch baby turnips
• 1 bunch radishes
• 1 bunch baby beetroot
• 20 peppercorns
• 10 bay leaves
• 1 litre white vinegar
• 2 cups sugar
• 2 cups water
• 2 teaspoons vanilla salt or 2 teaspoons sea salt and 1 vanilla pod

1. Wash and trim the vegetables, pack into a 6 litre sterilized jar, alternating with the peppercorns and bay leaves.
2. Combine the vinegar, sugar, water and vanilla salt in a large saucepan. Heat over a medium heat until simmering and the sugar has dissolved.
3. Pour the hot vinegar over the vegetables and seal the jar. Allow to cool and then store in the refrigerator until required. Keeps refrigerated for 1 month.

food dept. fact: Thinly slice a selection of the pickles, toss with a handful of salad greens some thinly sliced red onion to make a refreshing and crunchy salad. They make great Christmas or birthday gifts for friends or family.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful site such a stylish and talented team! The recipes are so delicious I had to share so
    I linked your blog on my post on Friday, have a fabulous weekend.
    Here is link http://carlacoulson.com/its-not-about-waiting-for-the-storm-to-pass-its-about-dancing-in-the-rain/
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your work, guys. Just gorgeous, and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I have been looking to pickle some radishes. I will use this recipe when I do! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fantastic, and perfect to use up my little multi coloured carrots from the veggie patch. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! I've been psyching myself up to make some pickles - never done it before, and no idea why I'm a little afraid of it! You've inspired me to give it a go. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete